EU: EQUINOX makes recommendations to the EU in its report “Towards Racial Justice: How the EU can make lasting changes for radicalised people”
People of colour-led initiative asks Brussels to ‘fundamentally rethink’ approach to racial justice on eve of inaugural EU Anti-Racism Summit
Equinox (18.03.2021) – https://www.equinox-eu.com – Equinox Initiative for Racial Justice outlines serious changes the EU must make to tackle structural racism in its new report released today “Towards Racial Justice: How the EU can create lasting change for racialised people”
“The EU needs to re-think its approach to racism policy to address structures,” says Equinox’s Co-founder Sarah Chander. “This must include looking inward and correcting what it has done as an institution to exacerbate racial inequalities.”
“From failing to support targeted anti-racist civil society, to turning a blind eye when people of colour in Europe are killed by police, the EU institutions have not as yet met their commitments to ensure equality for all.”
“The steps forward are to undertake a wholescale review of EU policy – from economy, migration, security, counter-terrorism, climate and digital – from a racial justice lens.”
The report outlines key vectors for the EU to implement an effective response to structural racism, including:
- ● A widening of anti-discrimination law to include racism and brutality in law enforcement
- ● A racial justice review of all major EU policy
- ● An organisational restructure of the services working on racial justice
- ● A new relationship with civil society with structural support for racial justice organisations.
“For too long, racial justice activists have been on a tight leash with the EU institutions. When too critical, we risk exclusion from proceedings and sometimes even black-listing” says Sarah Chander. “We want to work with the EU to build a more equal and just Europe for all.”
- The Equinox Initiative for Racial Justice is a people of colour-led advocacy project with solidarity and empowerment at its heart. Equinox is a coalition of racial and social justice leaders, activists and organisers from across Europe working in solidarity to influence European Union law and policy.
- You can read about how to tackle structural racism in further detail with the launch of our paper “Towards Racial Justice: How the EU can create lasting change for racialised people” found here.
Photo credits: Equinox