On 7-11 November 2016, Kashmir Council-EU and Friends of Kashmir group of EU parliamentarians are holding their annual conference about the situation in Kashmir. The main session was chaired by His Excellency, President of Azad Kashmir, Mr. Sardar Masood Khan. The main objective is to enhance the awareness level and impact upon the EU policies regarding Kashmir while highlighting the grave human rights violations of the people of Kashmir.


Kashmir Observer (08.11.2016) – – SRINAGAR: Two more educational institutions were gutted in two separate incidents of arson in the Kashmir valley where more than 30 schools were set ablaze during the past three months, even as authorities have claimed to have taken a number of steps, besides arresting about 25 persons.

According to the official sources, fire broke out in a school at Badoora Anantnag in south Kashmir during the intervening night. Locals joined by fire brigade brought the flames under control, they said adding the building suffered massive damage.

In another mysterious fire incident a school was reduced to ashes at Bader Payeen in the frontier district of Kupwara.

More than 30 schools have been gutted fully or partially under mysterious fire incidents in the Kashmir valley, where Board of School Education (BOSE) is all set to hold 10th and 12th class examination from November 14 despite protests by some students, traders, separatists and main opposition National Conference (NC) who were challenging the government decision alleging students have completed just 40 to 50  per cent syllabus.

Meanwhile, police claimed to have identified 40 youths, allegedly involved in setting schools on fire. However, about 30 of them have been arrested, majority of them in south Kashmir after Special Investigation Team (SIT) was constituted by police.

However, locals contested the police claim alleging that police, under pressure, have now arrested innocent persons for face saving.

Meanwhile, barring three incidents of stone pelting, the situation by and large has remained peaceful.

The unrest that began after the killing of a young militant leader four months ago entered its 123rd day on Tuesday with shutdown continuing across the Valley.

The impact of the ongoing strike was felt less in Srinagar though routine shutdown continued in other major towns for the 123rd day on Tuesday in the Kashmir valley, where several thousand people, mostly youths, were arrested for their alleged involvement in stone pelting during the past four months.

There was no curfew or restriction in any part of the Valley though adequate security deployment continued to maintain law and order.

However, gates of historic Jamia Masjid remained closed with security forces and state police personnel deployed to prevent anyone from entering the area.

Both the factions of the Hurriyat Conference (HC) and Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), spearheading the agitation since July 9, a day after Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) ‘commander’ Burhan Wani and two other militants were killed in Anantnag,, have already extended the strike till November 10.

HTML Snippets Powered By :