HRWF (04.12.2018) Wang Hongli was born in May 1971 and lived in Yongle Town, Xixian New Area, Shaanxi Province. In 2008, she joined The Church of Almighty God. In 2013, she was arrested by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) police for attending a gathering, and after her release was subjected to police surveillance and harassment. In July 2017, the CCP police sought out Wang Hongli; they interrogated her and searched her home in an effort to extract information on the church. Throughout May 2018 the police sent her frequent menacing questions, demanding to know if she still believed in God, who the church leader was, etc. These disturbances left her absent-minded and ill-at-ease. Beginning in July of that year, the police started frequently showing up at her door, and their visits increased from once a week to once every two or three days. This was incredibly stressful for Wang Hongli.


On 2 August 2018, the police once again visited her home to threaten and harass her. Unable to withstand all those years of the police’s threats and harassment, she committed suicide by swallowing pesticides; she was just 47 years old.


Wang Hongli’s arrest


On 4 August 2013, Wang Hongli was arrested by the police of Jingwei Town in Gaoling County during a religious gathering. The CCP police were unable to get the information on the church they wanted through interrogation, so they released her the following day. In 2016, Wang Hongli got married and moved away, managing to evade local police surveillance. However, the CCP police did not let her slip away; they tried everything to ascertain her whereabouts.


On 5 July 2017, police from the Chongwenta North Road Police Station in Jinghe New City, Xixian New Area found her parents’ home address. They threatened her family members, telling them that they’d be arrested if they didn’t disclose her whereabouts, and that she would be listed as a wanted criminal. Her family were pushed into calling her and telling her to come home.


Around 9 a.m. on 7 July 2017, two male officers from the Chongwenta North Road Police Station rushed to Wang Hongli’s home to question her on whether she still believed in Almighty God; they ransacked the entire place. When they were unable to find any evidence of her faith, they demanded her to disclose her cellphone number and took photos of her as well as the interior and exterior of the home. At that time, Wang Hongli was home alone, and felt frightened. In a message she sent to church members, she wrote: “This blow has really weakened me, but I’ve seen God’s protection. The police failed to find any evidence of my faith.”


On 7 May 2018, a village cadre called Wang Hongli to the Village Committee office where five National Security Brigade officers had been waiting. The police questioned her on whether she still believed in God and who the church leader was. One officer also asked her: “Why didn’t you respond to our text message? We need to know what you’re doing!” They let her go after questioning. After that she continued to receive frequent menacing text messages from the police; this harassment was enormously stressful for her. She wrote in a letter to the church: “The police are constantly messaging me, disturbing me. I’m feeling really distraught and I can’t get any peace of mind all day.”


In July 2018, the police started frequently showing up at Wang Hongli’s house to harass her— the frequency of which increased from once a week to once every two or three days. Every time, four officers would arrive in a police car and charge into her home wearing their police uniforms, pestering and interrogating her for half an hour or longer. Frightened, she was frequently unable to eat or sleep—her suffering was great. Tormented, she confided in her mother that she was afraid if she was arrested, she’d be unable to withstand the torture and would sell out other brothers and sisters in the church, which was something she didn’t want to do. She didn’t dare have any contact with them for fear of implicating them.


At 9 a.m. on 2 August 2018, four officers from the Chongwenta North Road Police Station once again burst into Wang Hongli’s home to interrogate her and left after about thirty minutes. Unable to bear the long-term police harassment any longer, she killed herself by drinking pesticides that very day.


At 10 a.m. the next day, her family found her corpse in the bathroom of her home in the Anju Jinghe Community.


Wang Hongli, was driven to her end by the Chinese Communist government.


HRWF Comment

Members of The Church of Almighty God applying for refugee status in the EU, South Korea, Australia, Canada, the United States should be granted political asylum and should never be sent back to China.




If you want to be regularly informed about different violations of human rights in the world, click here for a free subscription to our newsletters!


HRWF database of news and information on over 70 countries: 
List of hundreds of documented cases of believers of various faiths in 20 countries:  

HTML Snippets Powered By :