20 June, 2018 – 15:00 to 17:00, European Parliament, Brussels – Room JAN 6Q1
The conference “The EU’s role in focus protecting refugee children: Prevention of child marriage and safeguarding child welfare” will on the specific challenges of addressing child marriage, a phenomenon that affects a significant number of refugee children, as well as highlighting other issues related to the overall safety and well-being of refugee children.
Panel I: Child Marriage and the risks associated with this practice
– Elisa Van Ruiten, Human Rights Without Frontiers International, will provide an overview of child marriage and the protection afforded to children in international law following up with identifying the gaps between policy and implementation with some recommendations for change.
– Louma Albik, SB OverSeas, will discuss the increasingly prevalent practise of child marriage in refugee camps in Lebanon and the work done by SB OverSeas to combat this practice.
Panel II: Safeguarding child welfare
– Muzoon Al-Mellehan, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, will discuss the barriers faced in protecting refugee children.
– Amy Wilson, US Mission to the European Union, will provide an overview of their Safe from the Start program and discuss the actions taken.
- Amador SANCHEZ-RICO – Deputy Head of Division, Human Rights, European External Action Service
- Chiara Adamo, Head of Unit, Fundamental Rights & Children’s Rights Unit, DG DEVCO, European Commission.
26 June, 2018 – 9:30 to 11:30, European Parliament, Brussels – Room ASP A3H1
Human Rights Without Frontiers is hosting an event titled “EU’s Soft Power in the European Neighbourhood: Human Rights in Morocco” with MEPs Gilles Pargneaux and Ilhan Kyuchyuk on 26 June 2018 at the European Parliament.
The panelists will discuss topics related to the freedom of association and assembly, children’s rights, women’s rights, and domestic violence.
If you do not have a EP badge, please register on the form below by 19 June 2018.
Questions? Send an email to: email@example.com